With the closing of the bimonthly session of the National People's Congress's Standing Committee on Saturday, lawmakers officially abolished the controversial reeducation through labor system, known as "laojiao".
China issues white paper on human rights
The Chinese government on Monday released a white paper detailing the progress made in human rights in 2013, highlighting enhanced social fairness, justice and freedom of speech.
- Education focused for the next generation in Gansu
- Villagers improve herb quality for market demand
- Gansu nursing home volunteers care for locals
- Yugur pastures preserve nomadic life
- China earmarks 200 bln for housing projects
- Progress made in protecting rights of person
- China's social security system taken shape