Food poisoning sickened 55 pupils at a boarding primary school in central China's Hubei Province on Thursday, confirmed local health authorities yesterday.
The pupils developed symptoms of fever, nausea and vomiting after they had breakfast at Zaoziping Hope Primary School in Badong County.
Thirty-eight students are still receiving medical treatments, and they are now in stable condition, said a source with the county health bureau.
Another 89 students who felt sick after their breakfast were also sent to local clinics, the source said.
Fourteen students were transferred to Batong County People's Hospital 70 kilometers away for further treatment.
The county health bureau said the investigation showed the students may have come down with food poisoning after they ate unsanitary leftover.
A total of 365 students had the breakfast on Thursday morning.
The bureau had ordered a check-up of food safety at all its primary and high schools immediately after the incident.
Earlier in this week, food poisoning has killed one girl and sicken another 404 students in Chinese provinces of Shaanxi and Heilongjiang. Thirty-two students who suffered suspected food poisoning in Heilongjiang Province had been discharged from hospital on Friday, but 22 others are still receiving treatment.
(Xinhua News Agency September 23, 2006)