Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Wednesday that his country would continue its own sanctions on North Korea even after the six-party talks resume, Kyodo news agency reported.
Abe appreciated North Korea for its decision to return to the negotiation table, but insisted that Japan would not stop its unilateral sanctions until the issues such as missile launches, nuclear tests and abductions of Japanese nationals were resolved.
China, the United States and North Korea on Tuesday agreed to resume the six-party talks, which, suspended a year ago, also involve Russia, Japan and South Korea.
Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso made similar remarks earlier in the day, ruling out the possibility that the sanctions would be lifted with North Korea's return to the talks.
While addressing a morning session of the House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs, Aso also warned against being too optimistic about the prospect of the talks, the report said.
Japan imposed economic sanctions on North Korea after Pyongyang test-fired missiles in early July. The sanctions include a ban on all imports from the country and measures that prohibit its ships from entering Japanese ports.
(Xinhua News Agency November 2, 2006)