Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read
Freak Mobile Phone Explosion Causes Death
Adjust font size:

A Chinese man died after a bizarre incident where his mobile phone battery exploded due to the summer heat, the Lanzhou Morning Post newspaper reported.

Xiao Jinpeng, 22, was carrying out some electric welding at an iron plant in Jinta County, Gansu Province, when his mobile phone exploded in his breast pocket, causing one of his ribs to pierce his heart.

One of Xiao's colleagues reported the temperature had been stiflingly hot on June 19 when the accident occurred. Xiao collapsed after the detonation and was pronounced dead upon arrival at a nearby hospital.

Police, after conducting a post-mortem, determined that Xiao's mobile phone exploded due to the hot weather, making him the first person in China known to have died from such a phenomenon.

The iron plant will pay over 100,000 yuan (US$13,164) in compensation to Xiao's family after the local government ruled that Xiao's death was a working place accident.

The newspaper revealed that one of Xiao's relatives bought the mobile phone for him outside the immediate area but the producer of the phone was not disclosed. The manufacturer has been contacted and will send a representative to Jinta to cooperate with the investigation. Tests will be carried out on the phone to determine whether poor quality led to Xiao's death.

( by Chen Chao July 3, 2007)

Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read

Related Stories

Product Directory
China Search
Country Search
Hot Buys
SiteMap | About Us | RSS | Newsletter | Feedback
Copyright © All Rights Reserved     E-mail: Tel: 86-10-88828000 京ICP证 040089号