Lying on Tianwei Lu in the Hebei district of the city, the monastery is the largest Buddhist monastery in Tianjin. Built in 1611 and expanded in 1940, it was partially destroyed in a 1976 earthquake and was restored in 1980. The monastery houses hundreds of Buddhist statues from different dynasties. Before 1956, the monastery contained a skull relic of Monk Xuanzhuang (also known as Hiuen Tsang), which had been given to a monastery in Nalanda in India for friendship.
The statue of One Thousand Arms Avalokiteshvara is artistic.
Admission fee: 10 yuan
Opening hours: 09:00 to 16:50
Recommended time for a visit: One hour
(travelchinaguide.com July 25, 2007)