The Square is first built in 1913, it was called as Central Square at that time. In 1919, its name had been changed into Langsu Square. During the ruling period of Kuomintang, the name of the square had been changed into Zhongshan Square, which was still used after the liberation of Shenyang. In Cultural Revolution period, it was called Hongqi Square. Since 1981 the name Zhongshan Square has been reused.
In 1956, Zhongshan Square was reconstructed. In the center of the square a fountain was built to add magnificence to it. The present majestic landscape of the square was established in the large-scale reconstruction in 1969.
The reconstruction project of the Hongqi Square (it was called that time) started on 7th, May, 1969, with the first phase project finished on 28th, September. The second phase project started on 13th, May, 1970, which finished on 1st, October, 1970.
A huge glass-made statue of Mao Zhedong was erected in the center of the reconstructed square. With one hand pointing front, a foot stepping forward, the grand, energetic and amiable giant rock-firmly stands there.
(chinahighlights.com July 26, 2007)