Chinese veteran shooter Wang Yifu shot down the men's 10m air
pistol gold medal with a total of 690 points at the 28th Olympic
Games on Saturday.
Wang Yifu, at the age of 43, only secured the gold in the final
shot, in which he had 9.9 points, beating Mikhail Nestruev of
Russia to the second.
Nestruev, world champion in 2002, shot 9.7 points in the final
round, losing the title by 0.2 points.
Vladimir Isakov, also from Russia, was third at 684.3
Wang, who began his career at the age of 16, is the only Chinese
athlete who has competed in the Olympic Games since 1984 Los Angels
where he finished third in the men's 50m pistol event.
At the Barcelona Olympic Games in 1992, he took his first gold
medal in the 10m air pistol with 684.8 points. In both Atlanta and
Sydney Games, he finished second in the shooting.
Results of men's 10m air pistol finals
Following are the results of men's 10m air pistol finals at the
Athens Olympic Games here on Saturday:
1. Wang Yifu, China, 690.0 points
2. Mikhail Nestruev, Russia, 689.8
3. Vladimir Isakov, Russia, 684.3
4. Tanyu Kiriakov, Bulgaria, 683.4
5. Jin Jong Oh, South Korea, 682.9
6. Kim Hyon Ung, DPR Korea, 682.0
7. Norayr Bakhtamyan, Armenia, 681.9
8. Kim Jong Su, DPR Korea, 681.2
(Xinhua News Agency August 14, 2004)