China and Russia prepare for the launching ceremony of the border monument on Heixiazi Island/Bolshoy Ussuriysky Island, October 13, 2008. The ceremony, held a day later, marked Russia transferring half of the island’s sovereignty to China. This ended the boundary demarcation work between China and Russia, for which the two countries had negotiated for more than 40 years. The island had been occupied since 1929 by the Soviet Union during a border skirmish.[Chinanews]

  • Return of Heixiazi Island/Bolshoy Ussuriysky Island

    On October 14, 2008, China and Russia held a ceremony to unveil a stone monument on Heixiazi Island. The western part of Heixiazi Island was returned to China, demarcating the northeastern tip of the 4,300-km Sino-Russian border.

    According to the Complementary Agreement between the People's Republic of China and the Russian Federation on the Eastern Section of the China-Russia Boundary signed on October 14, 2004, Heixiazi Island was divided into two parts. The western part belonged to China and it would become "the first place on the Chinese mainland to see sunlight."