Section 1: Vocabulary and Grammar (25 points)
This section consists of 3 parts. Read the directions for each part before answering the questions. The time for this section is 25 minutes.
Part 1 Vocabulary Selection
In this part, there are 20 incomplete sentences. Below each sentence, there are 4 choices respectively marked by letters A, B, C and D. Choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence. There is only ONE right answer. Blacken the corresponding letter as required on your Machine-scoring ANSWER SHEET.
1. The explanation given by the manager yesterday was not at all _____ to us.
2. Part of the funds will be used to _____ that old library to its original splendor.
3. This silk has gone right _____ and we have not sold a single piece of it for weeks.
A. out of fad
B. out of pattern
C. out of custom
D. out of fashion
4. The new Personal Digital Assistance contained a large _____ of information about an individual life.
5. Primitive superstitions that feed racism should be _____ through education.
6. _____ pollution control measures are expensive, many local governments hesitate to adopt them.
7. The less the surface of the ground yields to the weight of the body of a runner, _____ to the body.
A. the stress it is greater
B. greater is the stress
C. greater stress is
D. the greater the stress
8. Annie Jump Cannon, _____ discovered so many stars that she was called “the census taker of the sky.”
A. a leading astronomer,
B. who, as a leading astronomer,
C. was a leading astronomer,
D. a leading astronomer who
9. Kingdom of Wonders, _____ in 1995 in Fremont, Calif., became an industry legend for two toys: a talking bear and a ray-gun game.
10. Over a very large number of trials, the probability of an event _____ is equal to the probability that it will not occur.
B. to occur