Cool Shanghai SIPG seal quarter-final berth

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail, June 27, 2019
Adjust font size:

Shanghai SIPG needed penalties to secure their place in the quarter-finals of the AFC Champions League on Wednesday, with Oscar scoring the final spot-kick to take the Chinese Super League champions past two-time winners Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors with a 5-3 penalty shootout win.

Oscar netted in the final round of penalties to give SIPG the win after Lee Dong-gook had seen his spot-kick saved by Yan Junling as Vitor Pereira's side joined compatriots Guangzhou Evergrande in the last eight.

SIPG progressed after the second leg ended in a 1-1 draw at the end of 90 minutes, with Hulk cancelling out Kim Shin-wook's opener for Jeonbuk to leave the tie level 2-2 on aggregate, with 30 minutes of extra time unable to separate the teams.

Jeonbuk had pressed in the opening exchanges but it was SIPG who had the first clear sight of goal when, with little more than a quarter of an hour gone, Hulk surged toward goal before unleashing a shot that came back off Song Bum-kuen's left post, only for Wang Shenchao to fire the subsequent rebound into the side netting.

Jeonbuk, though, were largely on top, with Lim Sun-young seeing his effort from distance tipped over the bar by Yan Junling before Kim Shin-wook sent his header just wide of the goal.

So it was little surprise when Jeonbuk took the lead in the 27th minute, with Kim Shin-wook delivering the opener. The former Ulsan Hyundai forward nodded Lee Yong's ball into the box to Moon Seon-min, who in turn fed Son Jun-ho and he sent in the cross that Kim Shin-wook swept right footed beyond Yan.

Hulk, however, continued to look like the most likely to unlock the Jeonbuk defence forcing Song Bum-kuen into action six minutes before the break with the Korean keeper pushing away a delicate curler from the edge of the area.

Soon after the young custodian was in action again, this time ensuring Kim Jin-su's errant clearance did not cross his own goal line as Jeonbuk clung to their lead. 

Hulk remained the greatest threat to Jeonbuk and, with 18 minutes remaining, he hit the post again, this time with a deflected effort. Seconds later his scuffed shot fell to Oscar and he skied his close range effort well over the bar as SIPG's frustrations grew.

With 10 minutes remaining, Shanghai finally pulled level and it was no surprise that it was Hulk's name that flashed up on the scoreboard, the burly striker powering the ball home via a deflection after Elkeson had somehow kept the ball from going out of play. 

Hulk's goal ensured the game went into extra-time and Jeonbuk went close to sealing the win when Kim Shin-wook was presented with the kind of header he normally converts, but the Korea Republic international steered his effort the wrong side of Yan's left post.

Hulk then hit the crossbar and Oscar forced a fine save from Song deep into injury time at the end of the second extra period while Moon's over-the-top reaction to a challenge from Li Shenglong saw him sent off by referee Alireza Faghani.

There was more agony to come for Jeonbuk in the shootout as Shanghai advanced again to the last eight.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
ChinaNews App Download
Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from