Mozambican President Armando Guebuza said Sunday that his government is doing all the best maintain law and order to guarantee Mozambicans not live in fear.
He told reporters that the government condemns vehemently the attacks allegedly perpetrated by former rebels of the main opposition Renamo party in central Mozambique this week. The targets include a police station and three vehicles, resulting in eight deaths.
In the latest incident, three people were killed and dozens of them were wounded, some in a serious condition, as a truck and two buses were ambushed by armed men in central Mozambique over the weekend, police said.
The Mozambican head of state urged the former rebel movement to act as a political party, not as a military movement.
Renamo fought the Frelimo government for ten years until peace was achieved in 1992, under an agreement signed in Italy in the same year.
The accord was mediated by the Catholic Church. Since then, Renamo lost general and municipal polls. It accuses the Frelimo party, in power since independence in 1975 from Portugal, of committing fraud, an accusation denied by Guebuza's administration.
Dialogue between the government and Renamo collapsed last year, when the opposition Renamo abandoned the talks in the capital Maputo.
Renamo was demanding at the talks the dismantling of what he regarded as the government's riot police, integration of Renamo members in the police force, the revision of the country's electoral elections, among other issues. Endi