Xinhua Asia-Pacific news summary at 1600 GMT, June 18

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail Xinhua, June 19, 2022
Adjust font size:

NEW DELHI -- In its second bid to curb the ongoing violent protests over the new recruitment scheme, the Indian government on Saturday announced a 10-percent reservation in defense ministry jobs for new recruits.

The scheme selected youths for a period of four years to serve the security forces, and provide 25 percent of them permanent employment, with the rest 75 percent removed from service after four years. (India-Recruitment-Relaxations)

- - - -

KABUL -- A civilian, a security forces member and several attackers were killed after an armed attack hit a Sikh-Hindu temple in the Afghan capital Kabul on Saturday, according to the capital police.

There were also seven civilians injured in the attack. (Afghanistan-Explosion)

- - - -

DHAKA -- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has asked all concerned to take necessary measures to shut down shops, shopping malls, markets and kitchen markets across the country after 8 p.m. every day, according to Bangladesh national news agency BSS.

The instruction was given in a circulation signed by Director General (Administration) Md Ahsan Kibria Siddiqui of the Prime Minister's Office on Friday night. (Bangladesh-Energy Saving)

- - - -

NEW DELHI -- The number of new COVID-19 cases registered per day in India continues to rise steeply, with the figure surpassing the 13,000-mark on Saturday.

According to the data released by the federal health ministry, as many as 13,216 new cases were registered across India in the past 24 hours, taking the total tally to 43,283,793. (India-COVID-19 Cases) Enditem

Follow on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
ChinaNews App Download
Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from