- CHINA & THE WORLD - News - China

Italian film festival returns to Beijing, marking 55 years of diplomatic ties

By Zhang Rui
China.org.cn
| November 30, 2025
2025-11-30

An Italian film showcase opened in Beijing on Thursday, screening four new films through Nov. 30 to highlight the country's film industry.

Federico Roberto Antonelli, cultural counselor at the Italian Embassy in China and director of the Italian Cultural Institute in Beijing, speaks at the opening of "Italian Screens — New Italian Cinema in Beijing," Nov. 27, 2025. [Photo courtesy of China Film Archive]

"Italian Screens — New Italian Cinema in Beijing" is co-organized by Italy's Directorate General for Cinema and Audiovisual, the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and the International Department of Cinecittà, along with the Italian Embassy in Beijing, the Italian Cultural Institute in Beijing and the China Film Archive.

Federico Roberto Antonelli, cultural counselor at the Italian Embassy in China and director of the Italian Cultural Institute in Beijing, said the event aims to promote film exchanges between the two countries.

"We hope Chinese audiences can experience the continuous innovative vitality of Italian cinema through these four films, as well as how we tell stories about the world and understand it," he said.

The initiative has become a key platform for Italian cinema, presenting new films to international audiences and boosting overseas distribution. It also encourages co-production collaborations between Chinese and Italian filmmakers, aiming to elevate professional standards in the sector.

Roberto Stabile, head of the International Department of Cinecittà and the Italian Screens initiative, stated that he has long been committed to promoting dialogue and cooperation between Chinese and Italian cinema.

He said: "We have always been full of confidence and enthusiasm to promote the launch of 'Italian Screens' in China. This year, following the successful screenings in Shanghai and Hong Kong, we are coming to Beijing. We sincerely hope that audiences here will embrace the four films in this program with the same passion. Bringing excellent Italian films to audiences around the world is an important way to support the Italian film industry and promote cultural exchanges."

Posters for the four films featured in "Italian Screens — New Italian Cinema in Beijing," running Nov. 27-30, 2025. [Image courtesy of Cinecittà]

The opening film, "Heads or Tails?," won best director at the 38th Tokyo International Film Festival for Alessio Rigo de Righi and Matteo Zoppis. Set in the early 20th century, it follows Rosa, a French woman abused by her violent husband. After she shoots and kills him, she escapes into the mountains with a cowboy in a story that takes an unexpected turn.

The program also includes three other acclaimed films: "Sweetheart," which won the Special Jury Prize at the 2025 Locarno Film Festival, depicts a young boy's summer in his aunt's mysterious Sicilian house.

"Familia," a dark melodrama based on Luigi Celeste's memoir about his far-right militant youth, premiered at the Venice Film Festival's Horizons sidebar last year, where it won best actor for Francesco Gheghi. It will represent Italy at the 2026 Academy Awards.

"The Tasters," adapted from Rossella Postorino's bestselling novel "At the Wolf's Table," draws on the true story of Margot Wolk, one of seven women forced to test Adolf Hitler's meals for poison.

"Italian Screens" has presented nearly 20 Italian films to Chinese audiences since launching in Beijing in 2023. The initiative gained momentum last year when "There's Still Tomorrow" opened the 2024 event and went on to win best foreign language film at the 38th Golden Rooster Awards earlier this month. The film's Chinese distribution was supported by the Film Distribution Fund, a scheme heavily promoted by "Italian Screens," which fully demonstrates the initiative's important role in promoting Italian cinema, connecting industrial resources, and fostering international industrial cooperation.

Chinese audiences collect tickets for the opening film "Heads or Tails?" at the China Film Archive during the launch of "Italian Screens — New Italian Cinema in Beijing," Nov. 27, 2025. [Photo courtesy of China Film Archive]

The 2025 "Italian Screens" marks the 55th anniversary of China-Italy diplomatic relations. This year's event launched in Shanghai in June with seven films, moved to Hong Kong in September with five selections, and has now returned to Beijing for the third consecutive year.

Looking ahead, organizers said they expect exchanges and cooperation between China and Italy in the film sector to deepen in the coming years.

9013863