Hong Kong health authority on Thursday reported a new case of kidney stone involving a child who had previously used melamine-tainted milk products, raising the total number of such cases in Hong Kong to 13.
The Center for Health Protection said the 10-year-old boy living in Kowloon, Hong Kong had consumed milk products bought from the local market.
Samples of the products were later confirmed to be contaminated by melamine, a chemical substance that could cause kidney stones in children or even lead to kidney failure.
The melamine-tainted milk products had caused tens of thousands of children to develop kidney stones on the Chinese mainland, with a number of deaths. The mainland launched a campaign to enhance food safety.
In Hong Kong there has been no death case involving the melamine-tainted milk products, which nevertheless had damaged the confidence in food safety.
Health authorities in Hong Kong designated some clinics to provide screening services for those who had previously used such milk products.
(Xinhua News Agency December 12, 2008)