Two education officials have been sacked following the tragic
deaths of six pupils in a boarding school in north China's Shanxi Province, according to the provincial
public security bureau.
Two boys and four girls aged six to 10 died last Monday at a
primary school in Nanyao Village, Puxian County after suffering
carbon monoxide poisoning as a generator was moved next door to
their bedroom. Fumes leaked into their room killing them within an
Kang Chengjie, deputy director of the Puxian Education Bureau,
and Dong Quanlai, a township education official, were both
Nanyao village primary school has only 11 pupils, the other five
students had been transferred to a nearby school.
The provincial education department has ordered local schools to
strengthen safety checks and management.
(Xinhua News Agency December 12, 2006)