Family Guide to Prevent Pneumonia Caused by the Novel Coronavirus
The pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus is a new disease. The general public should better protect themselves against this epidemic. In order to help international friends to acquire relevant knowledge of prevention, Hubei Provincial Foreign Affairs Office has compiled and translated this guide into multiple languages according to the Public Prevention Guide provided by the National Health Commission. The following is the Family Guide to Prevent Pneumonia Caused by the Novel Coronavirus. The guide applies to people who live in homes.
I. Daily prevention tips
1. Avoid visiting areas where the disease is prevalent.
2. Try to avoid visits to crowded public places, especially places of poor ventilation, such as public bathrooms, hot springs, cinemas, internet bars, Karaokes, shopping malls, bus/train stations, airports, ferry terminals and exhibition centers, etc.
3. Do not touch, buy or eat wild animals (gamey). Avoid visiting markets that sell such live animals as birds, seafood, and wild animals. Cook eggs and meat thoroughly before consumption.
4. Keep your home clean and open windows frequently for better ventilation.
5. Maintain hand hygiene. Avoid touching public objects and facilities. After returning from public places, covering your cough, using the restroom, and before meals, wash your hands with soap or liquid soap under running water, or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Avoid touching your mouth, nose or eyes when you are unsure whether your hands are clean or not. Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow when sneezing or coughing.
6. Wear a mask when going out. A surgical or N95 mask shall be worn when you visit public places, go to the hospital or take public transportation.
7. Keep good personal hygiene and health habits. Do not share towels with your household members. Keep your home and tableware clean. Sun-cure your clothes and quilts often. Do not spit. Wrap your oral and nasal secretion with tissue and throw it in a covered dustbin. Balance your nutrition and exercise moderately.
8. Monitor the health conditions of you and your household members. Measure your temperatures when you feel like having a fever. If you have kid(s) at home, touch the kid’s forehead in the morning and at night. Measure the kid’s temperature in case of fever.
9. Keep necessary medical supplies on hand. Prepare thermometer, surgical or N95 masks, and domestic disinfectant at home.
II. Suggestions to household members of a person with suspicious symptoms
1. Seek prompt medical attention in case of the suspicious symptoms relating to the pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus. Such symptoms include fever, cough, pharyngalgia, chest distress, dyspnea, mildly poor appetite, fatigue, mild lethargy, nausea, diarrhea, headache, palpitation, conjunctivitis, and mildly sore limb or back muscles, etc.
2. Try to avoid taking the metro, bus and other public transportation and avoid crowded places.
3. Tell the doctor your travel and residence history in epidemic areas, and who you met after you started to have the condition. Cooperate with your doctor on the relevant queries.
4. Asymptomatic members should wear facemask, keep distance from and avoid close contact with the infected ones.
5. When one has been diagnosed with pneumonia caused by 2019-nCoV, his or her household members, if identified as close contacts, should be under medical quarantine for 14 consecutive days.
6. Sterilize places where one with suspicious symptoms stays and objects he or she frequently touches.