UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon announced on Friday a grant of up to 7 million dollars for earthquake relief in China.
Ban's spokesperson Michele Montas told a noon briefing at the UN Headquarters that the secretary-general was pleased to announce a grant of up to 7 million dollars from the Central Emergence Response Fund (CERF) following the earthquake that struck Sichuan, China, on May 12.
The grant will be used by United Nations agencies, funds and programs to help meet the most urgent humanitarian requirements, she said.
She also said that the United Nations stands ready to provide further support, as required, to the government of China in its efforts to respond to the humanitarian needs caused by the disaster.
Earlier in the day, the UN chief praised the Chinese government for its fast and effective efforts to save earthquake victims.
"The secretary-general commended Beijing authorities for their fast and effective action and expressed his sincere condolences to the victims and their families," Montas said.
"While fully confident in the Chinese government's capacity to manage the crisis, the UN has offered resources from the central emergency response fund and is dispatching experts for rescue and relief operations," she added.
(Xinhua News Agency May 17, 2008)