The death toll from the devastating earthquake in southwest China's Sichuan Province rose to 40,075 nationwide as of 6 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Information Office of the State Council. [Watch video]
Another 247,645 people were injured in the 8.0-magnitude quake that jolted southwestern Sichuan Province last Monday.
At a press conference earlier Tuesday, the information office also said that 32,361 people were missing as of Tuesday noon.
In Sichuan Province alone, 39,577 people have been confirmed dead and another 236,359 people injured as of 4 p.m. Tuesday.
As of midday Tuesday, 159 aftershocks measuring above 4 on the Richter scale had been detected in Sichuan, according to the China Seismological Bureau. Aftershocks measured above magnitude 5 numbered 26, with four stronger than magnitude 6.
About 5.36 million buildings have collapsed and more than 21 million were damaged in the earthquake, according to figures available as of Monday evening, said the Ministry of Civil Affairs.
The quake affected 434 counties in 10 provinces and municipalities in China, the ministry said in a statement issued Tuesday.
The worst-affected areas include central and northern Sichuan's Aba Prefecture, Mianyang, Deyang, Guangyuan, Ya'an and Chengdu, southeastern Gansu's Longnan, and Hanzhong and Baoji in southern and western Shaanxi Province.