Surveillance on blood centers in China's quake-hit regions had shown no sign of blood shortage so far, according to the Ministry of Health on Wednesday.
The monitoring, which is done four times daily, found the centers were well stocked and the blood supply was in stable condition in provinces that had received injured from Sichuan Province, the center of the May 12 earthquake, for treatment, the ministry said in a press release.
Meanwhile, no major epidemic outbreaks or emergent public health incidents were reported in the quake areas as of Wednesday, the ministry said.
As of Monday noon, epidemic prevention work had covered all villages and temporary settlements for quake survivors in the 446 worst-hit towns in Sichuan, with two or three medical workers deployed in each village, it said.
By Tuesday noon, some 10,000 medical and disease prevention workers had been sent by the ministry to the quake regions, while nearly 94,000 had been mobilized nationwide.
In total, 21 field hospitals had been set up by the military, local governments and international medical teams so far, and a few more were being established, according to the ministry.
The death toll in the quake rose to 69,122 as of Wednesday noon, the Information Office of the State Council said.
A total of 373,606 were injured and 17,991 others remained missing in the 8.0-magnitude quake that jolted southwestern Sichuan Province and some other areas.
Hospitals had treated 96,020 injured, of whom 72,353 had been discharged, and 21,097 were still being treated, according to the office.
(Xinhua News Agency June 5, 2008)