China's Macao Special Administrative Region (MASR) has clinched a 20-year urbanization scheme, local media reported Thursday.
Macao Post Daily quoted Ao Man Long, secretary for transport and public works, as saying that the plan will involve the land reclamation of 3.98 square km from the sea.
The plan will help promote the quality of life of local residents and to reduce the silting-up of Macao's harbors, Ao Man Long told the newspaper.
Some 59 percent of the reclaimed land will be spared for green spaces, leisure areas, road networks and social facilities and the remaining 41 percent for residential buildings, commerce and hotels.
The budget for the scheme has not been worked out so far, the newspaper said.
Macao, with a population of 480,000 and a land area of 27.5 squre km, is expected to accommodate 610,000 residents in 2023.
(Xinhua News Agency January 12, 2006)