China's commerce authorities ferreted out 29,800 fake and
substandard food cases and ordered the withdrawal of 1,253.5 tons
of substandard food from the market in the past four months.
A total of 192,400 unlicensed food shops were closed and 945
tons of unqualified pork were tracked down from late August to the
middle of December, according to the State Administration for
Industry and Commerce.
To address food safety issues, the Chinese government launched a
four-month nationwide campaign in late August to crack down on
unlicensed food shops and suppliers and on sales of food products
without quality and inspection certificates.
The target has been accomplished in less than four months, said
a spokesman with the administration.
Vice Premier Wu Yi said last month that food safety was a
highest priority of the government and the country's efforts to
improve food quality was showing obvious results.
"This year, the government has taken unprecedented special
action to ensure product quality and food safety," she said, adding
China aimed to set up "a monitoring network" to cover the whole
society and the entire process of food manufacturing and
(Xinhua News Agency December 20, 2007)