The hand-foot-mouth disease (HFMD) outbreak in Fuyang in east China's Anhui Province is under control, the health ministry said on Sunday.
No fatalities was reported from May 2 to May 10 in Fuyang, an official surnamed Yang with the Ministry of Health told Xinhua.
The city reported the initial HFMD outbreak in the country and 22 deaths caused by the disease by May 10.
"The incidence of HFMD in Fuyang is on the decline. The majority of patients in critical conditions in Fuyang have recovered," he said.
The ministry said on Thursday that patients discharged in Fuyang has outnumbered those checking in to hospitals for the first time.
The Health Ministry urged local health departments around the country to mount all-out efforts in disease control measures against HFMD, and to pay special attention to kindergartens, primary schools, hospitals, food outlets as well as families with children.
A total of 24,934 people had been infected with HFMD nationwide by Thursday night, according to a tally by Xinhua based on provincial-level health bureau reports. All were children.
(Xinhua News Agency May 12, 2008)