A roadside bomb, planted by militants, hit a convoy of district police chief Monday in western Afghan province of Herat, killing at least 12 including two policemen, an official said.
Hismatullah Alizai, the provincial police chief, told Xinhua that it occurred at around 8:30 a.m. (0400 GMT) when the convoy of district police chief Khowja Mohammad Hisa was struck by a remote- controlled mine near his house in the provincial capital Herat city.
"Mr. Hisa was also wounded in the blast," he added.
Meantime, Barakatullah Mohammadi, the chief of emergency department of Herat Hospital, said 29 wounded people have been received and treated in the hospital so far.
No group or individuals have yet to claim responsibility for that bloody incident as Taliban militants vowed to intensify their assault on interests of government and international troops.
A massive operation involved by U.S. marines and Afghan security forces targeting Taliban militants has been launched in southern Helmand province since July 2 as the hard-line outfits keep mounting pressure in other parts of the country including the relatively peaceful western and northern regions.
(Xinhua News Agency August 3, 2009)