The International Olympic Committee (IOC) may renegotiate its deal with FIFA to get the top players to Olympic fields, IOC president Jacques Rogge said in an interview published on Sunday.
"My dream is for all the stars of football to be at the Olympics, because in all other sports the best are there," Rogge was quoted as saying by the German Bild am Sonntag newspaper.
"We must see if we can sort that out with FIFA."
Men's soccer at the Olympics is an Under-23 tournament, with qualifying nations allowed to field three over-age players. Accordingly, few of the game's top players take part.
"We have an agreement with FIFA dating back 15 years," Rogge said. "It was decided at the time that only footballers up to the age of 23 would be able to go to the Olympics. It was about protecting the FIFA World Cup."
Rogge said the agreement had been reached between former IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch and his FIFA counterpart Juan Antonio Samaranch.
"I respect the agreement but it doesn't have to be forever," he said.
(Xinhua News Agency March 10, 2008)