Last month's devastating earthquake which affected the South Western part of China, will not affect the Olympic Games holding in Beijing in August, Guo Kun, China's Consul General in Lagos has said.
Guo told newsmen on Wednesday in Lagos that preparations for the Games had been concluded before the disaster.
"The incident happened in South Western China very far from Beijing in the North East, where the Games will take place," Guo said.
He expressed regret that the survivors could be denied the opportunity of enjoying the Games.
According to him, the Chinese government had done its best to minimize the effect of the disaster on the victims.
The Consul General disclosed that the consulate had started processing visa applications for Nigerian athletes and officials.
He said the visas were in three categories, for athletes, officials and others who intend to watch the Games.
"They will of course pass through the normal visa process but we will ensure that all eligible people get their visa on time for the games," Guo said.
(Xinhua News Agency June 13, 2008)