Indonesian badminton players have vowed to compete in the World Badminton Championships in Hyderabad, India, despite a terror threat, the Jakarta Post said here Monday.
The organizer of the competition has received a treat from the Lashkar-e Taiba group to launch an attack ahead of Indian Independence Day on Aug. 15.
Lius Pongoh, an executive of the Badminton Association of Indonesia, commented on Monday that the Indonesian team had been encouraged to focus on this tournament as they would for any other. It is scheduled to run from Aug. 10-16.
"'We received word of the threat, but the organizing committee has convinced us there is nothing to worry about. At the moment, we are steadfast in our conviction to compete and there is no question of our withdrawing," Lius said.
Security has been tightened at the BMC Bayalogi Indoor Stadium, where the tournament is being held.
(Xinhua News Agency August 11, 2009)