Carlos Tevez leaves the stadium the UEFA Champions League group A match between FC Bayern Muenchen and Manchester City at Allianz Arena on September 27, 2011 in Munich, Germany.
Manchester City suspended Argentinian striker Carlos Tevez on Wednesday as they began an investigation into whether he refused to come on as a substitute in the Champions League tie with Bayern Munich.
He denied that he had refused to come on when told to do so by manager Roberto Mancini, who had said after the match, which they lost 2-0, he was "finished" at the club.
However, the club have decided that it is best he stays away completely while they carry out their investigation.
"Manchester City can confirm that striker Carlos Tevez has been suspended until further notice for a maximum period of two weeks," read the statement.
"The player's suspension is pending a full review into his alleged conduct during Tuesday evening's 2-0 defeat to Bayern Munich.
"The player will not be considered for selection or take part in training whilst the review is under way."
Tevez had denied Mancini's claims in a statement earlier on Wednesday.
"In Munich on Tuesday I had warmed up and was ready to play. This is not the right time to get into specific details as to why this did not happen. But I wish to state that I never refused to play," Tevez said.
He blamed his failure to appear on "confusion" on the City bench and apologized to the club's fans for "any misunderstanding. "."
Mancini has indicated Tevez will never play for the club again in the aftermath of Tuesday's defeat.