Home / China / Local News Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read | Comment
China's Nationwide School Heating Survey
Adjust font size:

To ensure there's no carbon monoxide leaks in Chinese schools the Ministry of Education has ordered a nationwide survey and overhaul of school heating facilities especially in rural areas. 

Six pupils - two boys and four girls - aged six to 10 died last Monday at a primary school in Nanyao Village, Puxian County of north China's Shanxi Province . They suffered carbon monoxide poisoning when a generator was moved next door to their bedroom.

Fumes leaked into the bedroom and killed them in a short space of time. Two education officials were sacked following the tragic deaths according to the provincial public security bureau.

In a circular to regional educational authorities the ministry ordered a comprehensive inspection and overhaul of heating facilities in schools especially coal-fired systems in rural schoolhouses. The exercise is designed to "eliminate risks and effectively prevent carbon monoxide poisoning."

(Xinhua News Agency December 12, 2006)

Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read
Pet Name
China Archives
Related >>
- 15 Die of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Gov't Issues Carbon Monoxide Warning
- Carbon Monoxide Leakage Kills 3, Injures 4 in Yunnan
- Two Shanxi Officials Sacked After 6 Pupils Died
Most Viewed >>