Hong Kong police will implement sufficient security measures for the Fortune Global Forum to be held next week, said Cheung Chi-shum, assistant commissioner of police (operations), Friday.
Speaking at a press conference, Cheung said police placed great emphasis on the forum.
"Our first priority, which is the same as that of the community of Hong Kong, is to ensure that the forum can proceed from start to finish without interruptions so as to show to the world that Hong Kong is one of the safest cities with proven records of law and order," he said.
Cheung said the police force had been in close contact with the event organizer and relevant government departments since last October for deployment of sufficient police manpower for law and order duties and for the safety of dignitaries attending the functions.
Lee Siu-kin, district commander of Wan Chai, outlined the security and special traffic measures to be adopted at the forum venue -- the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center (HKCEC) II in Wan Chai between May 8 and 10.
"The HKCEC will be designated a security area where arrangements in line with internationally accepted practices are made to cope with both potential threats and security of visiting dignitaries and forum participants," he said.
(People's Daily 05/05/2001)