Home / Government / Local Governments News Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read
Fujian Chemical Project Put on Hold
Adjust font size:

This port city in east China's Fujian Province has decided to put a highly polluting chemical project on hold, authorities said yesterday.

"The Xiamen city government has decided to suspend construction of the PX (paraxylene) plant in Haicang District," vice-mayor Ding Guoyan told press after an internal meeting of the municipal government.

Paraxylene is a cancer-causing petrochemical. It is used to make purified terephthalic acid, a raw material for producing polyester film, packaging resin and fabrics. Health experts say it can cause fetus abnormalities.

The 10.8 billion yuan (US$1.4 billion) project by Tenglong Aromatic PX (Xiamen) Co Ltd was expected to generate revenues of 80 billion yuan a year. Its planned location, 16 km from the city center, raised public fears.

Ding said the project had passed an environmental evaluation by an expert panel before it was approved by the National Development and Reform Commission.

"Its evaluation and approval was strictly in line with China's laws and regulations," he said.

But the project has drawn criticism in the past two months. Some compared it to an "atomic bomb". About one million text messages were sent to pressure the government to cancel the project.

"The city government has listened to the opinions expressed and has decided, after careful deliberation, that the project must be re-evaluated," Ding said.

The planned location of the project is in a development zone in Haicang, a district with more than 100,000 residents.

One residential area is less than 1,500 m from the plant, and Gulangyu and Piano islands, the city's tourist destinations, are only 7 km from the site.

(Xinhua News Agency May 31, 2007)

Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read

Related Stories
Questions and Answers More
Q: What Are the Custom Procedures to Export Personal Articles?
A: According to the Custom Law, any long-term non-resident passenger importing or exporting articles for personal use must submit a written application to the appropriate customs agency personally or by authorizing an agent.
Useful Info
- Who's Who in China's Leadership
- State Structure
- China's Political System
- China's Legislative System
- China's Judicial System
- Mapping out 11th Five-Year Guidelines
- Chinese Embassies
- International Department, Central Committee of CPC
- State Organs Work Committee of CPC
- United Front Work Department, Central Committee of CPC
SiteMap | About Us | RSS | Newsletter | Feedback
Copyright © China.org.cn. All Rights Reserved     E-mail: webmaster@china.org.cn Tel: 86-10-88828000 京ICP证 040089号