The Palestinian cabinet on Monday decided to deploy forces on Gaza streets to prevent more clashes between militants of Fatah and Hamas, the biggest two factions who share the national unity government.
"The Cabinet has decided to deploy forces immediately in Gaza Strip to implement a security-restoration plan," Information Minister and government spokesman Mustafa al-Barghouti told reporters in Ramallah.
He added that Prime Minister Ismail Haneya will oversee the forces as the cabinet has accepted the resignation of the Interior Minister Hani Qawasmi who complained of lack of power and cooperation from security chiefs loyal to Fatah.
Haneya will hold the interior portfolio until Hamas and Fatah, who are fighting on the streets, agree to choose a new figure to lead the most complicated ministry.
Meanwhile, two more Palestinians were killed on Monday afternoon in separate shootings in Gaza City and Khan Younis town, paramedics said.
Earlier in the day, two Palestinians were killed and more than10 others wounded as fresh armed clashes between militants of rival Hamas and Fatah movements broke out in Gaza City despite a truce deal reached overnight.
The government has called on the two factions to withdraw their militants from the streets and to cope with the security plan.
(Xinhua News Agency May 15, 2007)