China's Health Ministry has issued a circular, asking citizens to keep from eating dishes made of nassarius snail.
The warning was issued after serial of food safety incidents relating to the animal were reported in Beijing in the recent period.
The circular prohibited the processing and sale of nassarius snail products by restaurants and required sellers to strictly abide by related regulations to guarantee food safety.
Those who feel uncomfortable after having eaten the snail are advised to seek a doctor as soon as possible. Consumers are advised to report to local food safety administration if finding any sale of the food.
The nassarius snail-related poisonings also have hit other places in China in past years. Toxins born by the animal will affect people's nerve system - with the symptoms of fainting, vomiting and anaesthesia in fingers and mouth.
The snail, the opening of whose shell usually features a slight breechblock, mainly lives in the sea areas off east China's Zhengjiang, Fujian and Guangdong provinces.
(CRI.cn May 7, 2007)