China voiced its commitment to further promote the six-party talks on Monday, calling on the concerned parties to implement the second phase action in a comprehensive and balanced way.
"Promoting the six-party talks process serves the common interests of the involved parties, which is also a shared aspiration of the international community," Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said.
"China will continue to strengthen its communication and coordination with the relevant parties to push forward the talks."
The United States removed the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) from its terrorism list on Saturday after the two sides reached an agreement on verification measures over the latter's nuclear program.
The removal follows a two-day trip to Pyongyang by U.S. chief negotiator to the six-party nuclear talks, Christopher Hill, earlier this month.
On Oct. 1-3, Hill reached a series of agreements with DPRK negotiators that led to its removal from the terrorism list.
"China appreciates the constructive efforts made by the concerned parties", Qin said, expressing hope they would substantially carry out their promises to promote the talks and continue their concerted efforts.
On June 27, the DPRK blew up a cooling tower of an atomic reactor to demonstrate its commitment to nuclear disarmament, a day after handing over details of its atomic program.
Under the 2007 pact, the DPRK pledged to disable its nuclear facility in a step toward its eventual dismantlement in exchange for diplomatic concessions and energy aid.
But the accord has been stalled by disputes over the verification of a nuclear declaration between the DPRK and the United States.
The DPRK stopped disabling its nuclear facilities in August in retaliation for Washington's failure to remove the country from its terrorism-sponsoring states list.
(Xinhua News Agency October 13, 2008)