The United Nations launched a flash appeal for US$187 million on Friday to aid more than 1.5 million victims of Cyclone Nargis, which struck Myanmar last week.
The flash appeal would enable 10 UN organizations and nine nongovernmental organizations to "support the government of Myanmar in addressing the needs of more than 1,500,000 people affected by the cyclone," said a UN statement.
"The planning horizon for this appeal is six months," the statement said. "The appeal will be regularly updated to reflect new needs as the situation evolves."
The funding covers 12 sectors, with the largest proportion assigned for food (US$56 million), water and sanitation (US$9 million), logistics (US$50 million), health and shelter (US$16 million).
UN humanitarian chief John Holmes and delegates of UN member states attended the launch at the UN Headquarters.
Holmes, who announced Wednesday a 10-million-dollar fund from the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) for Myanmar, said he was now considering "rapid allocations of at least 15 million," which "may need to go up 20 million."
At least 22,500 people were killed and 41,000 others went missing after Cyclone Nagris struck the country Saturday.
(Xinhua News Agency May 10, 2008)