By Zhou Jing, Wu Nanlan and John Sexton
Another five Chinese nationals trapped in one of the hotels under siege in the Indian commercial capital of Mumbai have been rescued by Indian security forces, Zhang Longhai, Chinese consul in Mumbai, told China.org.cn in a telephone interview this afternoon.
Two of the hostages freed after police stormed the Oberoi Hotel in Mumbai. [Enorth.com.cn]
"Five Chinese trapped in the Oberoi hotel were rescued this morning and are safe and sound. They are healthy and in good spirits." Zhang said. "They had not dared to venture out because of the gun battles, and had been trapped in the hotel."
He said the five were from Hong Kong and the mainland and were in Mumbai on business. They were not willing to reveal their names.
Zhang added that the general manager of the Chinese oil company Sinopec (Hong Kong) Limited and the chef of the Taj hotel, who were rescued yesterday, were both safe and were being taken care of in the consulate. Neither were willing to be interviewed but said they were much better and told netizens not to worry about them.
At least 25 guests, including an infant, have been escorted out of Mumbai’s Oberoi Hotel. Many appeared to be foreigners, according to reports from CNN.
Indian Police announced this morning that up to 16 hostages were still being held in the Taj Hotel, and at least two, perhaps three terrorists were still hiding in the hotel.
Indian commandos are continuing to battle armed terrorists holed up in buildings and hotels in Mumbai. Authorities say more than 125 people have died and 327 others have been injured in multiple attacks on hotels and tourist spots that began on Wednesday.
A little known group calling itself the Deccan Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the attacks in an email sent to news organizations.
(China.org.cn November 28, 2008)