Tour Duration: 15 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 8 people
Specialty Categories: Cultural Journey Pilgrimage/Spirituality
Season: March - November
Airfare Included: No
In the hinterland beyond China's throbbing east coast awaits a rich heritage of former imperial capitals, Buddhist caves, and sacred mountains. Snow Lion's unique overland trip via rail and road connects these less-visited sites on a cross-country weave from Beijing to Shanghai. Our first stop is the ancient imperial capital of Datong, location of the 12th-century Buddhist monastery of Huayan Si and the Cloud Ridge Caves, home to over 50,000 statues. We'll wander the narrow cobblestone streets of Pingyao (a UNESCO World Heritage site) and Luoyang (capital of 13 dynasties prior to the 10th century). Further highlights include Xi'an, site of the 6,000 Terra Cotta Warriors; Song Shan, the central sacred mountain of Taoism; the Ming sites of Nanjing; and Tonli water town, before ending our wondrous journey in Shanghai.
Day 1: Arrive Beijing
Day 2: Forbidden City / Hutong neighborhood
Day 3: Great Wall
Day 4: Fly to Datong / Yungang Grottos / Suspended Temple
Day 5: Drive to Taiyan / Double Pagoda Temples
Day 6: Day trip to Pingyao
Day 7: Jin Ci Monastery
Days 8-9: Fly to Xi'an / Terra Cotta Warriors
Day 10: Train to Luoyang
Day 11: Longmen Grottos / Song Shan
Day 12: Shaolin Temple / Fly to Shanghai
Day 13: Shanghai / Yu Yuan Garden / Shanghai Museum
Day 14: Water town of Tonli
Day 15: Depart China from Shanghai.
- All 4-star hotel accommodations based on double occupancy, including tax and service
- All meals as stated in the itinerary highlighting the local cuisine with water, tea, coffee, local beer, and soft drinks
- Group airport arrival and departure transfers
- All ground transportation in private air conditioned vehicle with bottled water and snacks on coach.
- All sightseeing, entrance fees
- Services of local guides, site experts, and other support personnel.
- International airfare
- Any en route stopovers, hotels, and meals to and from China
- Excess baggage charges and airport taxes
- Passport and visa fees
- Items of a personal nature such as, laundry, mail, phone calls, faxes, spa treatments, hard liquor
- Normal level of gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Trip cancellation, travel delay or baggage insurance.