The UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo ( MONUSCO) on Wednesday reported that the number of civilians who had been brutally gang raped in the eastern part of the DRC late last month now exceeds 240, UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq told reporters in New York.
On July 30, the UN alleged that Congolese militants of the Mai- Mai group and Rwandan rebels of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) descended upon villages in Kibua and the Walikale areas of the North Kivu province and engaged in the violent assault of at least 154 civilians. That number has now increased to over 240.
Meanwhile, MONUSCO noted that it received information of additional attacks in surrounding areas from the period of Aug. 12 to Aug. 17.
"Indeed, after the rapes of over 240 victims in Kibua, MONUSCO received additional information concerning other acts that have occurred in Mubi and in the area surrounding Pinga," said a MONUSCO press release that was originally issued in French.
UN Secretary-general Ban Ki-moon dispatched Atul Khare, the assistant secretary-general for peacekeeping operations, to the DRC last week to help in the investigation of the attacks. Khare is set to report his findings to the Security Council early this month.