The White House on Thursday night said the government is "hyper-vigilant" on a possible terror threat that targets the Untied States on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
White House Spokesman Jay Carney told several network TV stations that President Barack Obama has been briefed about the "credible" threat, and "we're hyper-vigilant to this specific report." He said the administration is taking all necessary precautions.
Anonymous U.S. officials earlier in the evening told media outlets that at least three individuals -- one believed to be a U.S. citizen -- entered the country in August with the intent to launch a vehicle-borne attack against Washington D.C. or New York around the anniversary of 9/11. The intelligence came from tribal areas of Pakistan in the past 24 hours.
The suspected terrorists were believed to be coming from Afghanistan, and had traveled through at least one other country, according to media reports.
Earlier reports of law enforcement agencies seeking two rental trucks were disputed. The trucks were said to have been found.