TEHRAN, May 20 (Xinhua) -- The Navy of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) said on Wednesday that 26 vessels, including oil tankers as well as container and commercial ships, passed through the Strait of Hormuz within the past 24 hours in coordination with its forces.
In a statement published on the IRGC's official news outlet, Sepah News, the Navy noted that it ensured the security of the passing vessels.
It stressed that vessels' passage through the waterway is coordinated with and requires the permission of the IRGC's naval forces.
Also on Wednesday, South Korea's Foreign Ministry said a South Korean oil tanker safely transited the Strait of Hormuz, marking the first passage by a South Korean vessel through the waterway since the U.S.-Israel-Iran war began.
Iran tightened its grip on the Strait of Hormuz beginning Feb. 28, when it barred safe passage to vessels belonging to or affiliated with Israel and the United States following joint strikes on Iranian territory.
The United States has also imposed a naval blockade on the strait, preventing ships traveling to and from Iranian ports from transiting the waterway.
Sporadic clashes erupted between Iran and the United States in and around the Strait of Hormuz after Washington launched Project Freedom earlier this month to guide stranded ships out of the waterway. Enditem




京公网安备 11010802027341号