7156699

Home -

Irish FM demands immediate release of Irish citizens on Global Sumud Flotilla

Xinhua
| May 21, 2026
2026-05-21

LONDON, May 20 (Xinhua) -- Irish Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister Helen McEntee on Wednesday condemned the treatment of Irish citizens on the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, demanding their immediate release.

McEntee said in a statement that she was "appalled and shocked" by video footage circulated by Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, in which activists of the flotilla, including Irish citizens, were not treated "with appropriate dignity or respect."

She said that, at her instruction, Ireland's ambassador to Israel had demanded immediate assurances that the welfare and wellbeing of all Irish citizens were safeguarded and that they were afforded all protections they are entitled to under international law.

McEntee added that the Irish citizens would be given all appropriate consular assistance and support as soon as Irish officials secured access to them.

Hundreds of members from the flotilla were brought to Israel's Ashdod Port on Wednesday, as Ben-Gvir released a video showing some of them shackled and forced to the ground.

In the video, dozens of activists are shown kneeling on the floor, bent forward with their heads down and hands bound behind their backs with zip ties, as the Israeli national anthem is played loudly over speakers.

Organizers of the Global Sumud Flotilla said all boats in their humanitarian convoy were intercepted after Israeli naval vessels surrounded them in international waters, about 250 nautical miles from the coast of Gaza. They said 428 activists were "kidnapped" by Israel.

Israel began intercepting the ships on Monday morning. Around midnight Tuesday, the Israeli Foreign Ministry said the activists had been transferred to Israeli vessels and were making their way to Israel, adding that they would be allowed to meet their consular representatives.

The ministry said Israel would not allow any breach of what it called the "lawful" naval blockade of Gaza, describing the flotilla as "a PR stunt at the service of Hamas."

The flotilla set sail from Türkiye's Marmaris coast on Thursday in a third attempt to break Israel's blockade of Gaza and deliver aid to Palestinians in the war-devastated enclave. Enditem

7156726