Some 76 college students in Yizhou city of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region were poisoned after having breakfast at the dining hall of Hechi College early Monday.
Soon after taking breakfast at seven o'clock, 76 students began to vomit or have stomachache. Six students have been seriously poisoned, one of whom had even stricken into grave toxic shock.
The poisoned students were immediately sent to hospital after the accident occurred, and doctors are now giving an emergency treatment to the student in shock.
According to experts, the food poisoning was caused by dushuqiang, a kind of high-efficiency poison specially used for killing rats.
Local government and health officials have come to the school and local police is making full efforts to investigate the case.
(Xinhua News Agency December 2, 2003)