China on Wednesday strongly condemned an attack on a US cultural centre in Calcutta, where gunmen shot dead four police guards.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Sun Yuxi said "we are shocked" by Tuesday's raid on American Centre in crowded downtown Calcutta.
China sends deep sympathy and condolences to the family members of the dead and injured, said Sun.
India's foreign ministry said a Dubai-based man who has links with somemilitant groups had claimed responsibility for the attacks, and police on Wednesday detained five people -- including three Islamic teachers.
The attack comes amid inflamed tensions between the nuclear rivals, which have mobilised their armies after an attack on India's parliament last month that New Dehli blamed on Pakistan-based militants.
(China Daily January 24, 2002)