Nanhaizi Field Park
Nanhaizi Field was an imperial hunting ground during the Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties. Wall gates were built around in the Ming Dynasty, creating a natural zoo of deer, hares and pheasants for the hunter’s pleasure. Later, in the reign of Emperor Kangxi, nanhaizi became a “place of physical training for the monarch.”
An imperial lodge built during the reign of Emperor Qianlong was linked to the outside by clear waterways. The palace grounds with its two lakes took on the appearance of a garden park.
In the summer of 1900 when the Eight-Power Allied Forces attacked Beijing, the temples were burned and rare animals killed. In 1937, the Japanese finished off the Tuanhe Imperial Lodge.
Restoration of the lodge and other areas was completed in1985, and the park is now open to the public.
The deer in the park, named David’s Deer for Father David who discovered this species in Nanhaizi in1850, were distributed to zoos worldwide after World War II. England returned 24 of these endangered deer to China in 1986.
Beihai Park, located in Miyun County between the Chengxi Highway Bridge and Miyun Reservoir, is divided into the Cultural Recreation Area, Nationality Friendship Park and Historic Exhibition.
The Cultural Recreation Area includes a cultural hall, library, scientific and technical center, sports center, children’s activity center and a youth home.
The Nationality Friendship Park includes a small prairie, racecourse, golf course, and picnic area and activity field for ethnic peoples living in Beijing.
The Historic Exhibition describes the history of Miyun through the dynasties. Costumed attendants present folk customs, rites and food of the various historic periods.
Jinhai Park is located between Jinshan Hill and Haizi Village in Pinggu County. Haizi Reservoir, with its islets, harbors and bays, is the central attraction. Scenes typical of southern China can be seen from boats around Gouwan Bay and Panshan Mountain, one of the 15 famous mountains in China, can be seen from the reservoir.