The stupa is situated in Wanshou Temple at the head of Wenchang Bridge on Minzhu Road in Guilin.
The stupa was constructed in the Tang Dynasty and used to be a seven-storey brick structure. It originally contained a stone box for Buddhist relics. The stupa later collapsed out of negligence, but it was rebuilt in 1385, when it got its present design.
The brick stupa has a square base with a door on each side. A horizontal board above the door on the front is inscribed with the name of the stupa. Carved on the four walls are the names of the eight celestial guards. Centered on the base is a Lamaist dagoba. The stupa, including the base, is 12.83 meters high. The octagonal pedestal of the dagoba has a niche for a Buddhist statue on each side. The main body of the dagoba in the shape of an inverted bowl, has four niches; the southern one was for the stone box containing Buddhist relics. The five-tiered steeple crowned with a bead. The whole stupa appears sturdy and majestic and is an excellent example of a Ming Dynasty pagoda spanning a street.