Originally built by the roadside about half a kilometer north of Yunju Temple at Fangshan, the pagoda was built in 1093 during the Liao Dynasty.
Master Jingwan was one of the founders of Yunju Temple. During the Daye years (605-617) of the Sui Dynasty he pledged to engrave Buddhist sutras on stones at Yunju Temple and started this great and arduous project, which was carried on by his successors during the Tang, Liao, Kin and Ming dynasties. The temple became the richest treasure house of Buddhist sutras engraved on stones.
The pagoda is an octagonal stone structure with three tiers of eaves. The pagoda was moved to the site of Yunju Temple and reconstructed.