The pagoda is situated on Xigan Mountain on the southern bank of the Lianjiang River in Shexian County. It is also called Shisi Temple Pagoda. The pagoda, though not very tall, commands a strategic position and looks magnificent. It was built in 1119 during the Northern Song Dynasty. Although it was rebuilt during the Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties and the Republic of China, its shape and many of its original parts have remained intact. The architecture is simple, unsophisticated and graceful and possesses the characteristics of many kinds of pagodas. One seldom sees such a pagoda in south China.
The square multistoreyed pagoda is a small brick structure, some ten meters high, with seven tiers of eaves. It rests on a big stone Surneru pedestal surrounded by verandas. Arched niches in the four sides of the pagoda formerly held Buddhist statues. Now only their lotus-shaped thrones remain. Painted images of Buddha on the outer walls were retouched later. The pent roofs are built of tiers of bricks covered by tubular tiles. Bells hanging from the eaves produce musical sounds when the wind blows from the river.