According to historical accounts, two pagodas used to stand opposite each other at Jinshan Temple in Zhenjiang, allegedly constructed during the Xiaoliang period of the Six Dynasties, but careful textual research has indicated that the twin pagodas were first constructed during the Tang Dynasty and reconstructed during the Song and Ming dynasties. Today's pagoda was rebuilt in 1900 during the Qing Dynasty.
Its main body brick and its eaves, balconies and balustrades wood, the pagoda is an octagonal seven- storey building about forty meters high. Each storey has doors facing in four directions and spiral staircases inside. People standing on the balconies of the pagoda can enjoy a panoramic view of Mount Jinshan, Zhenjiang City, the Yangtze River and the surrounding landscape.