The Twin Pagodas, located on a small hill in the southern part of Hao Village in the southeastern suburbs of Taiwan, Shanxi Province, were built between 1573 and 1619 during the reign of Emperor Wanli of the Ming Dynasty. The twin pagodas were officially named Wenxuan Pagodas. Though they are Buddhist pagodas, they have assumed the characteristics of wenfeng pagodas, functioning as a symbol of the city and adding beauty to the landscape.
Both pagodas are octagonal, brick, 54.7 meters high, with thirteen storeys. They were built like wooden structures, yet the exterior brackets, rafters and eaves are all made of carved brick. The eaves are decorated with glazed tiles in the shape of different animals in bright colors. Spiral staircases have been installed inside the pagodas for tourists to ascend to the top and enjoy a panoramic view of the city of Taiwan.