Date: Nov. 8-14, 2002
Number of delegates: 2,114 elected delegates and 40 specially invited delegates
Party membership: 66 million Party members
Major contents: Hearing and examining a report from the 15th Central Committee of CPC; examining a work report by the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection; discussing and approving the Constitution of the Communist Party of China (Amendment); electing members of the 16th Central Committee of CPC; and electing new members of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection.
Jiang Zeming gave a report on the subject of building a prosperous society in an all-round way and opening a new chapter for a socialist cause with Chinese characteristics. The report covered ten items:
- The work of the past five years and the basic experiences of the past fifteen years;
- Fully carrying out the important thoughts of the "Three Represents";
- Objectives to build a well-off society in an all-round way;
- Economic development and restructuring;
- Political development and restructuring;
- Cultural development and Restructuring;
- National defense and army building;
- "One Country, Two Systems" and Complete National Reunification
- The international situation and external affairs;
- Strengthen and improve party building.
The congress endorsed a resolution on the report of the 15th CPC Central Committee, a resolution on the Constitutions of the Communist Party of China (Amendment) that takes effect on the day of approval and a resolution on the work report of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection.
The delegates of the congress elected the 16th CPC Central Committee. It consists of 198 members and 158 alternate members. The delegates also elected a new Central Commission for Discipline Inspection, comprising 121 members.
Link: Media Website for the Congress
(China.org.cn, 17thcongress.org.cn October 8, 2007)