Celebrity fashion maven Mr. Blackwell released his 2007 worst-dressed celebrity list Tuesday and Spice Girl Victoria "Posh" Beckham secured the top spot.
Celebrity fashion maven Mr. Blackwell released his 2007 worst-dressed celebrity list Tuesday and Spice Girl Victoria "Posh" Beckham (L2) secured the top spot.
"In one skinny-mini monstrosity after another, pouty 'Posh’can really wreck-em," Blackwell said in his annual list of fashion fiascos among music, movie and television stars.
In the No. 2 spot was singer Amy Winehouse with tough-girl tattoos, mini-skirts and hair piled high. "Exploding beehives above, tacky polka-dots below," said Blackwell.
In third place is former child star Mary-Kate Olsen whose diminutive frame and floppy fashion "is hard to explain," said Blackwell. "She resembles a tattered toothpick trapped in a hurricane."
Blackwell has issued his "Worst-Dressed" list for 48 years, and for just as long it has been widely watched and talked about among fashion followers. He began his career in the 1950s, had his own clothing line for 35 years and designed for older stars Jayne Mansfield, Peggy Lee and Jane Russell.
Blackwell was able to find some stars who managed to look good, including Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Elizabeth Taylor and even the Queen who, Blackwell said, "managed to update her Stonehenge of Style image."
The 2007 top 10 worst-dressed list is as follows, with Blackwell's critiques:
10. Alison Arngrim: "Little Nellie of the prairie, looks like a 1940's fashion editor for the Farmers Almanac."
9. Lindsay Lohan: "Lindsay the fashion frenzy strikes again! Lohan takes fashion to a new low."
8. Jessica Simpson: "Forget the Cowboys. In prom queen screams, can it get any worse? She's a global fashion curse!"
7. Avril Lavigne: "Gothic make-up courtesy the mad spatula — Fashions provided by ... The house of Dracula!"
6. Eva Green: "Stuck in neon nightmares not fit for the sane. Fashion this loud could give Bond a migraine! A profusion of confusion from toes to nose!"
5. Kelly Clarkson: "Her heavenly voice soars above the rest ... but those belly-baring bombs are hellish at best! She may be the queen of 'Pro-Active' — but that wardrobe looks downright radioactive!"
4. Fergie: "Another style-free 'Fergie' in fashion's hall of shame? Yes, when it comes to couture chaos, guess it's all in a name!"
3. Mary Kate Olsen: "YIKES! In layers of cut-rate kitsch, Mary Kate's look is hard to explain ... she resembles a tattered toothpick-trapped in a hurricane!"
2. Amy Winehouse: "Exploding beehives above … tacky polka-dots below ... she's part 50's car-hop horror."
1. Victoria Beckham: "Forget the fashion spice — wearing a skirt would suffice! In one skinny-mini monstrosity after another, pouty posh can really wreck-em."
(Xinhua/Agencies January 10, 2008)